Facilitating Exchange Of Organs Donated In Eu Member States 1 May 2013 – 30 April 2016.
Organ donation and transplantation is a successful therapy that provides cure to some categories of patients suffering serious organ failures (kidney, heart, liver, lung, pancreas and bowel).
FOEDUS Joint Action is focused on facilitating collaboration on organ donation between national authorities in the European Union as it is prescribed in the Directive 2010/53/EU and in the Action Plan 2009-2015 set by the European Commission.
FOEDUS Joint Action is receiving funding from the European Union in the framework of the Health Programme Grant Agreement 2012 21 01.
The aim of this Action is develop a better practice and facilitate the exchange of organs among European Union Member States, as an important way of increasing the number of available organs and meeting the needs of more patients in all EU countries.
Such cooperation will be enhanced through:
- the analysis of existing barriers and obstacles which hinder the exchange of organs between EU countries;
- the development of standards for International Organ Exchange, establishing models for bi- or multilateral agreements;
- the elaboration of a common medical form to be used for international cross border exchange;
- recommendations on donor maintenance;
- the optimization of public awareness initiatives towards organ donation and cross-border exchanges.